From early September through early November, the Johnston Running Club operates a youth cross country club for the aspiring and developing distance runner, ages 6 through 14.
The cross country club practices:
- Sundays: 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Johnston High School XC course
- Tuesdays: 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Johnston Public Library
- Thursdays: 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Metro Ice Sledding Hill
Athletes run approximately two to four miles each practice, depending on age and stage of the season.
The cross country club competes in local and regional meets on weekends. Athletes run varying distances depending on their age (age is determined as of age on 12/31 of current year):
- 8 & Under: 2000 meters (2k)
- 9 - 12: 3000 meters (3k)
- 13 - 14: 4000 meters (4k)
- 15 - 18: 5000 meters (5k)
For comparison, high school cross country runners compete meet distances of 5000 meters (5k).
The season builds toward the USATF State Meet in early November, at which athletes can quality for nationals.
When: September 7 - November 7
Where: Varies, see above
Ages: 6 to 14
Cost: $75 (includes all meet fees and JRC shirt)